Thursday, October 17, 2013

Well It's Bulls and Blood, It's Dust And Mud


So...

This past weekend I was in my VERY FIRST RODEO. My event?

Women's Steer Riding

It was quite an adventure (to say the least). If you're in for a wild ride, READ ON!!


Alright, so what you just saw was my whopping 3.5 second ride.
You also saw my killer wipe-out.
There's still some speculation as to whether I was knocked out by the steer and then landed on my head, or was knocked out BECAUSE I landed on my head. You decide!
Either way, I ended up being unconscious for approximately 2-4 seconds and then (apparently) jumped up and gave a big thumbs up to the crowd! Upon walking out of the arena, my roommates quickly realized that perhaps a hospital visit was in order.
This is the story of my killer concussion...

I don't know what all you know about concussions, but here are a few quick facts:

1. A concussion is a brain injury and ALL are serious.
2. It is the swelling of the brain against the skull.
3. Most concussions occur WITHOUT loss of consciousness.
4. Recognizing a concussion when it first occurs helps prevent further injury or even death!

I guess this is where I should be concerned?!
YES!!!

Meanwhile back at the hospital:



When I arrived at the emergency room I was incoherent.
**Disclaimer: All of the next text is as told to me by my two roommates, I didn't remember any of my behavior.**
As the doctor began my examination, I had no recollection of time. My most recent memories were those of summer vacation in July. I recognized my roommates (but I thought I only knew them from Facebook connecting before the start of the school year). As the doctor started asking me questions I was able to tell her the date but didn't remember anything! I knew I had been steer riding (and scolded myself for stupidity) and that I must've come off onto my head. I also kept asking if my mom knew and if she was mad. When I say I kept asking, I mean I kept asking.
I've always loved Dory, off of Finding Nemo. After this weekend's experience I appreciate her on a whole new level.


So if you haven't seen the movie, you get the idea?
Well, that was me. On almost a perfect rotation I would ask the same questions:
Is it the 11th?
Did I ride a steer?
Did I land on my head?
Does my mom know?
Is she mad?
She's mad, huh?
Is it the 11th?
.
.
.
You get the idea.
I had no clue a concussion could do this to someone! Here I sit, 6 days later, and I still have parts of my short term memory that I will never get back! I don't remember anything I've been taught in classes over the last week and a half. I have no memory of the steer ride OR ride to the hospital. I didn't know the names of friends I had made in my classes. I didn't even know my class schedule there for a while. 
The upside to this whole experience? 
My mom is not mad, just glad I'm okay (such a mom answer).
I don't remember the potentially traumatizing experience. ;)
I now relate to one of my all time favorite Disney Characters.

So maybe those aren't the best "upsides" but this just serves as a warning to all readers of the next few blog posts. If they seem scatter brained, know that I'm not a terrible blogger and give me the benefit of the doubt. Heck, I didn't even remember I had a blog until today. I suppose this is my plea. Most blogs have rocky starts anyway, but this one is extra rocky, loopy, and concussion-y. Bare with my cyberspace! 

And as my final salutation to you for the evening I give you my new favorite phrase to holler at my roommates:

"Come on ladies!! I'm CONCUSSED!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment